ARTISTS & TEACHING ARTISTS
Spiral Q is seeking to strengthen our cohort with strong artists and teaching artists of a range of different skill sets to be matched to a range of opportunities.
Job Title: Spiral Q Artist
Reports to: Spiral Q Co-Directors
Work Hours & Pay: By Contract
Spiral Q Artists cohort will be called on throughout the year on a contract basis to lead arts residencies with youth and adults around the city in and out of school time, lead and support public appearances including pop up art making tables, screenprinting and giant puppeteering and other performance.
Qualified artists are undaunted and creative problem solvers, quick on their feet, and demonstrate an ability to happily engage, challenge, and interest all ages of people through accessible art-making practices.
They will have experience in any of the following areas: puppet and mask construction, paper maché, printmaking, theater direction, playwriting, performance, percussion, instrument making, music instruction, stilt walking, sculpture, painting, dance, and choreography. Ideal teaching artist candidates will have strong classroom management skills and understand the power of art from arts-education to formal education systems and social justice.
- Lead and support Spiral Q arts residencies of various length in a range of settings (public school classrooms, community centers, faith institutions, drug recovery centers) from classroom to community centers to participants of varying ages and backgrounds including those with disabilities and English as a second language
- Cultivate safe learning spaces where creativity, resourcefulness and innovation is encouraged
- Lead and support Spiral Q gig opportunities
- Manage the set-up, implementation, & clean-up of workshops
- Pursues art- based, inclusive, teaching styles, techniques, and programs. (Non formal education pedagogy)
- Submit timely visual and written documentation and maintain attendance sheets
- Attend team meetings
- Personalize Spiral Q curriculum and create new curriculum as needed
- Submit timely invoices & W9
The position requires any combination of the following education, experience, and performance which demonstrates the capability to perform the duties of this position:
- Commitment to Spiral Q’s mission, vision and values
- Experience and desire working in diverse, community-based settings.
- Strong project management expertise with proven ability to accomplish deliverables on schedule
- Excellent communication and documentation skills (written, oral and visual)
- Advocate of social, racial, and economic justice; Knowledge of anti-oppression and anti-racist principles
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in area of focus: 5 years of dedicated artistic practice or arts education experience) (New Artists and Teachers can inquire about apprentice programs).
- Demonstrate an ability to engage, challenge and interest people through the arts
- Able to create safe, inclusive, supportive and creative environments for children, youth, adults, and volunteers
- Desire to experiment with new techniques and capacity to adapt them and teach them to others
- Experience, desire or interest in working with and creating art projects with recycled and reused materials
- Capable of performing in busy non-traditional classroom setting
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with a proven ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities, plan ahead, anticipate and articulate program needs, and work independently
- Ability to problem-solve, be flexible, imaginative, think on your feet
- Must have a sense of humor, positive attitude
- Must provide own transportation (bike, car, public -competently able to navigate public transportation)
- Must have clearances from within the past year – FBI, Child Abuse, PA Criminal
- Working Cellphone
- Valid driver’s license or fluency in a second language help but are not required
- Ability to drive 12 and 15 passenger vans
- Basic administrative skills
To Be Considered Please:
- A “one-paragraph cover letter” in the body of your email.
- Any links to or images of your artwork, and student artwork
Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject title of: Spiral Q Artist Application