Spiral Q seeks seasoned, innovative art educators that with a commitment to social change to join our pool of artists to lead in-school arts residencies, in which students work collaboratively in small groups, resulting in “Parade-Ready” works. Ideal candidates will have strong classroom management skills and understand the power of art, arts education to formal education systems, and social justice. They will be undaunted and creative problem-solvers, quick on their feet, and demonstrate an ability to engage, challenge, and interest people of all ages through the arts.
POSITION TYPE: Independent Contractor
A Teaching Artist is responsible for:
- Developing age- and contextually-appropriate curriculum and lesson plans, incorporating Spiral Q’s teaching methodology, including the use of environmentally-responsible materials (found, repurposed, recycled) connecting to related Common Core Learning Standards
- Preparing materials, coordinating and tracking supplies for workshops
- Cultivating safe learning spaces where creativity, resourcefulness and innovation are encouraged
- Delivering instruction in a range of settings from classroom to community centers to participants of varying ages and backgrounds, including those with disabilities and English Language Learners
- Submitting timely documentation, supporting program evaluation reporting, and attending all required meetings and training sessions
- Managing the set-up, implementation, & breakdown of workshops and classes
- Performing other duties as needed
The position requires any combination of the following education, experience, and performance, which demonstrates the capability to perform the duties of this position:
- Commitment to Spiral Q’s mission, vision and values
- Minimum of two years teaching experience with in-school and out-of-school classrooms
- Experience working in diverse, community-based settings
- Strong ability to collaborate with Spiral Q and partner organization staff to deliver Spiral Q style arts and activism education curricula that incorporate and meet the needs of our partner schools
- Strong project management expertise with proven ability to accomplish deliverables on schedule
- Excellent communication and documentation skills (written, oral and visual)
- Advocate of social, racial, and economic justice; knowledge of anti-oppression and anti-racist principles
- Regular weekly availability for planning and teaching beginning immediately through early June
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience
START DATE Immediate
APPLICATION DEADLINE Rolling
HOW TO APPLY*
Please send the following:
Your teaching artist statement (with employment availability), resume, and brief RFP of a Sequential Learning Based Project that sits at the intersection of art and social justice (as a PDF) to email@example.com. In order to expedite the internal sorting and reviewing process, please type the initials ARTEDU followed by your name (Last, First), as the only contents in the subject line of your e-mail. No phone calls, please.
Spiral Q is an equal opportunity employer.
We seek diversity within our staff that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.