2020 PEOPLEHOOD ART FOR ACTIONS PIPELINE
Spiral Q is excited to open up applications for the third year of our Art for Actions Pipeline: a partnership that seeks to build energy, beauty, visibility, and membership in justice movements. The union of Spiral Q’s two longest-running programs – the Art for Actions Pipeline centers the specific communities and issues of partner activist groups in our Peoplehood process of collaborative art-making, story sharing, and strategizing.
The union of Spiral Q’s two longest-running programs – the Art for Actions Pipeline centers the specific communities and issues of partner activist groups in our Peoplehood process of collaborative art-making, story sharing, and strategizing. The result is two specific tangible outputs (and lots of other benefits*):
1. A collection of new artwork (banners, giant puppets, 2D multiple flat puppets and signs, props, flags, t-shirts, digital design…) to amplify your demands and messaging,
2. Peoplehood – an artistic celebration of your story and the work.
The first two years of the Art for Actions Pipeline partnered with Trans March Philadelphia, ACT-UP Philadelphia, Shut Down Berks Coalition, and Philly Thrive. The artwork they created in the pipeline has been used many times since.
This year of we are deconstructing the timeline of our traditional in-person parade & pageant (which usually take place in October) to be the most powerful and purposeful response to the needs of our partners AND to the spirit of Peoplehood. This means we are front-loading the strategy and art making for activist campaign needs while thinking expansively about how to artistically represent, document, and share these stories of resistance aka “the Peoplehood Pageant in a pandemic”.
Sept 2020 – approximately May 2021
- August 30th – Application deadline
- Aug 31 – Sept 4th – Follow up interviews http://whenisgood.net/ffpd3pm
- September 8th – Announcement of 2021 Pipeline partners
- September- October – Strategy, visioning, and art-making (heaviest participation)
- Winter and Spring – continued support of your campaign and participation in the pageant process as within your capacity (lighter participation)
THIS IS FREE PROGRAM
ART FOR ACTIONS PIPELINE PROCESS:
(exact dates TBD based on folks’ availability)
• Collective art planning & visioning sessions with Spiral Q artists and fellow groups
• Participation by your community in art-making sessions in Spiral Q’s studio, in public space, or at home as COVID 19 precautions determine and as your capacity dictates.
• Using artwork to amplify messaging in your action(s)
• Promotion & participation in the Peoplehood virtual pageant (aka co-develop an artistic performance with Spiral Q artists for them to produce and present virtually in video format).
• Assessment and reflection session
BENEFITS OF PARTNERSHIP:
- Collaborative community process to strategize and build
- Artwork and art strategy for your campaign (for in-person rallies, protests and demonstrations and/or digital campaigns)
- Honorarium to support your group members’ participation in theme development and the creation of artwork. (as needed)
- A partnership with Spiral Q that is generative and fluid to figuring out other ways to support your specific goals and needs
WHO WE’RE LOOKING TO WORK WITH
We seek to work with local, POC and community-led, grassroots organizing groups that have active campaigns (and will have active campaigns in the fall and onward), small budgets, appreciation for the power of art, storytelling and creativity to bolster justice movements and an interest in forming relationships and building power across issues.
• Enthusiasm and need for more art in your group’s actions and campaigns
• Campaign work that will be activated in the fall
• Ability to name 1-2 primary point persons who have a strong connection to your group and who can represent it at visioning and strategy meetings
• Ability for point person(s) to participate in planning and visioning (est. 3 two-hour meetings in September)
• Ability to include wider participation from your group for 1-2 meetings (we can strategize ways to make wider participation easy and enjoyable)
• Ability and interest in participating in the Peoplehood “pageant” creation process (collaboratively devised artistic representation of your campaign and root stories)
• Interest in connecting with other groups working on justice campaigns as well as artists and community members
APPLY TO BE A PARTNER GROUP!
- Please fill out this google form to apply – https://forms.gle/GRgG8AaZf4kbjH4K9
- Let us know your availability for a followup call at this link – http://whenisgood.net/ffpd3pm
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions (we know this is a LOT of info)
*other benefits of being a Pipeline group partner may include:
Building bonds with other justice organizers, Strengthening relationships within your group as you create something different and new together, dynamic and expressive images in media coverage and on streets, pulling new community members and artists into your cause, the many positive emotional effects of art making… and more.